The mission of the Pennsylvania Association of Public Employee Retirement Systems (PAPERS) shall be to encourage and facilitate the education of its membership in all matters related to their duties as fiduciaries overseeing the assets of the pension funds with which they have been entrusted. It will be PAPERS' primary purpose to conduct an annual educational forum that provides the basis for improved financial and operational performance of the public employee retirement systems in the State. PAPERS will function as a central resource for educational purposes and act as a networking agent for all public plan staff and board members.
To learn more about PAPERS, please click here.
PAPERS' Most Recent Newsletter
Click here to access the August 2016 issue.
Click here for a conference registration form.
Click here for hotel details and driving directions.
Check back later for the conference agenda.
From the Executive Director's Desk
Spring 2016 has sprung! And while the hint of snow, wintery breezes and cold frosty nights have stayed a bit too long for my liking, I am taking note of the change in things that appear to be taking place – and I don’t just mean the weather in Harrisburg. I feel like maybe, just maybe, things are starting to settle down a bit:
- We have a 2015-2016 state budget.
- We have an economy that is chugging along in a positive direction.
- We have a market that for the first quarter of 2016 showed a positive return.
BUT……….What we don’t have is a hint of movement in regards to public pension reform in Pennsylvania.
So you are not sure exactly how things are “settling down”? Let me offer you a great – no, make that a spectacular - opportunity to assess the public pension plan environment. Why not plan on attending PAPERS’ 12th Annual Forum set for May 25-26, 2016 at the Harrisburg Hilton? While some sessions of the agenda are still tentative, allow me to mention just a few of the scheduled sessions and presenters:
- How the General Assembly is Addressing Pension Reform by Rep. Stephen Bloom
- A Discussion Regarding Public Pension Plans with Dr. Steve Herzenberg from the Keystone Research Center and Greg Mennis of The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Success Strategies for Well-Funded Pension Plans presented by President and CEO of the Center for State and Local Government Excellence Elizabeth K. Kellar
- The United States Presidential Election - Politics and the Economy
Panels and Presentations on “Best Practices” include:
- PA County Guide to Pension Plan Best Practices
- Helping To Get Your Employees Ready To Retire
- Best Practices Associated With Corporate Governance
- A Case Study: PSERS Board Meeting
Presentations regarding investment strategies and portfolio developments are also on tap. Registration and additional details regarding the Forum can be found on this website or simply by clicking on the following links:
Let me simply encourage you to consider taking advantage of PAPERS’ mission and commitment to “…function as a central resource for educational purposes and act as a networking agent for all public plan staff and board members.”
And, while putting in plugs for PAPERS educational efforts, let me highlight the PAPERS’ sponsored 2016 webinar series. While the complete schedule and assorted details for the year’s program can be found at http://www.pa-pers.org/newweb/library.html, I have to acknowledge the unqualified success we had with the March presentation. Asset Allocation & Allocation Studies was presented by Richard J. Hazzouri from the Hazzouri Group at Morgan Stanley. You may access an audio recording of this presentation at http://www.pa-pers.org/newweb/2016-03-23AssetAllocation-AllocationStudies.wmv or view a copy of the slides at http://www.pa-pers.org/newweb/documents/2016-3-23PPTslides.pdf.
I am equally excited by our next presentation which will be presented by Elaina Spilove from UBS Institutional Consulting Group. Ms. Spilove will be addressing Investment Guidelines. I strongly encourage you to take forty five minutes out of your schedule to listen, learn, and ask questions about the topic of investment guidelines. I promise you it will be well worth your time.
I look forward to connecting with you in April on the Webinar and seeing you in May at the Forum.
James B. Allen
PAPERS Executive Director
PAPERS' Next On-Line Webinar
Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016 at 10:30 AM
A Closer Look at:
Domestic Fixed Income Instruments
Click here for more information about this session.
Presented by: Ryan Labs Asset Management
Sean McShea, President
This session and the two remaining for the year are part of a series of presentations featuring in-depth discussion about the attributes of various asset classes. Questions to be addressed include:
- What are the characteristics associated with the asset class?
- What to expect from the class - volatility, risks, and historical returns?
- Types of managers and products associated with the asset class?
- What the various style approaches mean to a portfolio?
- How to get value from the class from active management?
- What are the various and most appropriate benchmarks to use in evaluating an active manager?
Advance registration to participate in this webinar is requested.
To register, please contact PAPERS in advance by e-mail: email@example.com.
Just Follow These Easy Steps to Connect to this Webinar
- From your computer, click on: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/909231509. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended. Not at your computer? Click the link to join this meeting from your iPhone®, iPad® or Android® device via the GoToMeeting app.
- OR, Dial +1 (312) 757-3121 if you prefer to call in using your telephone or you do not have access to a computer with audio capability. (Phone callers will not be able to see the on-line slides.)
- Important information after you are connected:
Access Code: 909-231-509
Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting
Meeting ID: 909-231-509
Questions answered/more information available from:
PAPERS Executive Director Jim Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-460-8781).